Summer ain’t over til it’s over, right? Which means sweaty vag is here to stay (for the time being, at least). There are simple steps you can take to keep your vagina feeling cool in the summertime despite the heat, humidity, and frolicking around in wet bathing suits. The pointers disclosed in this article are ones your doctor, mother, or gal pal may have told you in the past but, for me, they’re the results of personal experience dealing with the mishaps that come from not properly caring for your cooch. Yeast infections, BV, UTIs, and general discomfort down there are all major buzz kills. Whether you’re looking to get frisky or simply walk down the street without crotch-picking, these tips and tricks will help you stay on top of your womanly health and hygiene.
1. Don’t hang around in sweaty undies. A clean pair of underwear is your best friend in the summer. Stash one in your work bag, duffle bag, or beach bag for a quick change on-the-go. WIYB sampled stashable undies by Cheeki for this very reason. Yeast and bacteria thrive in moist places, so throw your vagina a lifeline and change into dry undies when you find yourself dripping in sweat. This is why sleeping commando is also great because it allows you vagina to air out and breathe…as if we needed another excuse to sleep naked.
2. Change out of your wet bathing suit. The inside of a wet bathing suit is warm and moist. In other words, a breeding ground for bacteria. Bathing suit material also absorbs the various chemicals and bacteria found in pools and oceans, so while it feels nice to splash around, change out of your wet bottoms when you’re done having fun in the water. If you have a weakened immune system or take certain medications, you’re more likely to be affected by hanging out in a damp bathing suit, so pack a change of bottoms for an endless good time.
3. Invest in vag-friendly products. Products for your vagina do exist, and female-run companies are putting them out now more than ever—which makes us happy clams. With WIYB, you can try a variety of products that help combat pussy perspiration, keep your pH balance in check, treat vaginal dryness, and overall, empower you to feel confident in your sex life. Another great part about WIYB is we offer our subscribers discount codes to shop more of what they love on our brand partners’ sites, so you can get yours, and then get some more.
4. Wear cotton panties. One of the simplest ways you can care for your cooch in the summer is by wearing cotton panties. Not only are they comfortable, they also absorb moisture away from the vagina unlike synthetic materials that are often found in women’s underwear. Nylon, spandex, and elastane are a few of the materials that trap heat and moisture, making you more prone to infection. Check the tag of your next panty purchase and make cotton panties your go-to grab in the heat and while exercising. Oddo Body is our recommendation for a pair of simple and sexy cotton underwear.
5. Drink water. Staying hydrated in the summertime is especially important for your overall well-being, and for your vag. Drink as much water as possible to ward off UTIs as dehydration can be a catalyst for them (lady friends who are 21 and over, take note). Treat yourself to your daily dose of H20—about 8 cups—to help flush the bacteria out of your body that can cause a UTI. Drinking water also helps your body function optimally, which can make your orgasms last longer and happen more frequently. *gulp gulp*
Until next time, stay shameless.
SUBSCRIBE to the box for your box